Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ever Improving...

Today's ride proved better than anticipated. A riding companion was going to ride with Toby and I. This can be a challenge since Toby get's antsy when other horses are in the arena. But I had agreed with the thought that Toby needed to learn how to cope with other horses. It was a good thought, so I went into it with an open mind and figured "how bad could it be?" My thoughts quickly turned to the worst, when my riding companion's horse started misbehaving while on the lunge line. Bucking, kicking out, galloping around and sand flying all the while. I listened to the events unfolding in the arena while I was tacking Toby. My thoughts were leaning more towards ground working Toby and maybe not riding. As we entered the arena, Toby seemed to be interested in what was going on. He didn't really seem spooked though. I put him on the lunge line and he proceeded to warm up as if nothing has happened. Then, the other horse spooked at the camera tripod which sent Toby careening around me on the lunge line. Within 4-5 rounds, he was settling and decided that his life was not going to end. I decided that we would go ahead with our original plan of riding. I walked Toby over to the mounting block and climbed aboard preparing myself for what might come next. Watch the video below to see what transpired...

No comments:

Post a Comment