Thursday, March 31, 2011

Another good day

Today, I came to the barn with a new found confidence. Since I rode yesterday without my instructor, I hoped today's lesson would be equally as good. I explained to my instructor what we had worked on it yesterday and the results that I had with my "Good Boy's" and psychological support. She seemed interested in seeing how this effected Toby.

We started by lunging, but Toby wasn't too excited. We started riding. I spent a little more time working at the walk than normal because I needed to loosen up myself. After our warm up, we started in the rising trot. Again, Toby was relaxed and moving rhythmically. We even managed to travel across the diagonal to change rein without losing rhythm. "Good Boy."

Are you kidding me? 2 days in a row. This is Waaaay Coool.

Laura (my riding instructor) wanted to see our leg yields on the center line. Our last attempt with her was not the greatest. We went down the long side and turned onto the center line. Toby was straight almost immediately, so I asked for the leg yield (albeit in the wrong direction). He willingly obliged my request. It was a little disjointed, but it was better than before. We continued leg yielding. Every leg yield got a little better. On our last attempt, we made it from the center line to just past the quarter line without losing rhythm. WONDERFUL!! GOOD BOY TOBY!

Another horse joined us in the arena towards the end of our lesson. Toby didn't even seem to care. A large chunk of ice fell off the roof of the arena and crashed outside. Toby didn't seem to care.

Was this really the same horse?
Could he really be this calm right now?

This was amazing. I couldn't contain my excitement anymore. I patted him lovingly and told him what a wonderful boy he was being.

We finished our lesson with some canter work on the 20 meter circle with no trouble. Complete with another horse lunging at the other end of the arena.

I have vowed to Toby that I would not leave him hanging psychologically anymore. Toby is the type of horse that will give everything he has to make his human happy. I happen to be that human. Laura has repeatedly told me that I am the only person that Toby will allow to ride him. That I am his human. I need to take that role seriously. From this day on, Toby will be praised for his good work. For his commitment and for his heart. Here's to understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment