Monday, April 11, 2011

You're back...

I showed up at the barn on Thursday. Toby looked totally shocked. Three days in a row. Are you kidding? My goals today... more work on seat, legs and hands, better half halts and balace at the canter.

I tacked Toby up and away we went. I'm sure he was feeling the same way I was. Who's dumb idea was it to ride some many times this week. "I promise we are not going to work too hard today buddy."

We walked around for about 10 - 15 minutes before moving on to the trot. In the trot, Toby was very sluggish. He didn't want to move forward in his normal ground covering trot, but he at least tried. We did our normal warm up and attempted some 3-loop serpentines. Toby was pretty tried and more than willing to maintain his slow but consistent rhythm. We changed rein with each loop and he willing responded.

Note to self: "Tired Toby = No fits. HMMMMMM. Could we be on to something? I think so.

We cantered with quite a bit of encouragement from my seat and legs. Today was definitely not the day to be heavy handed. I shifted my attention to my aids. His canter was nice and rhythmical, well balanced and deep in the corners. Oh my goodness. This is awesome!!!! He is incredible.

While this may be a little step for most, this is MAJOR progress for us. I think we may have moved into a new realm. It only took 3 consecutive days of riding, but we have a relaxed and happy horse.

I went out to see Toby on Friday. I think his face dropped. I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "You have GOT to be kidding me. We have to do this AGAIN."

Instead of riding, I took Toby into the indoor and turned him loose. He just stood there and looked at me like I was nuts. Then he took off across the arena kicking up his heels all the way. He pranced around and launched himself into the air with all 4 feet. We played for about 15 minutes and did some bonding. I itched all of his itchy spots and he nuzzled me back. It was so much fun. After our play time, I took Toby out to the cross ties and groomed him. Treats and back to the stall we went. As I was getting ready to leave, Toby came over, bright eyed and happy, to nuzzle my neck as if to say "Wow, that was fun. Thanks for playing." I patted his neck and told him I would see him again on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment